We work to prevent the exploitation of children and young people,
protect the most vulnerable and bring healing to those who have been exploited.
One of the most effective ways to FIGHT human trafficking is through education and awareness programs among young people. Here is how you can help:
- Ukraine and Moldova are two of the top “source” countries of human trafficking in the world (United Nations).
- An estimated 500,000 have fallen victim to this crime since the fall of communism.
- Many are victims of prostitution or pornography, others fall prey to labour exploitation in service, construction or agricultural areas.
- 90% of all child pornography available globally, originates in Ukraine, Russia and Belarus.
Partnering with the most successful, Indigenous agencies, ministries and leaders focused on trafficking prevention, awareness programs and victim rehabilitation in their own countries is the solution.
Our strategy is to equip and empower them not only to expand their work but also to galvanize more people in their own country to join the fight against slavery.
Invest in awareness programs
It is critical to raise awareness among the young people in Eastern Europe, especially at-risk children. This is accomplished through Human Trafficking awareness programs…
- In schools & universities (tens of thousands of kids are impacted each year);
- To orphans through our Orphanage Ministries;
- Through ministries to street kids, kids from families in crisis and desperately poor families;
- At summer camps. HART sends over 7,000 kids to camps each summer;
- For teachers, students & parents in high risk regions of their countries;
- Through conferences held in a variety of countries such as Moldova, Ukraine, Russia and Central Asian countries.
Invest in the development of resources for programs
The importance of multi-media in the Education/prevention process cannot be emphasized enough. Please support…
- The production and distribution of anti-trafficking resources such as films, documentaries and brochures–to our network of National Churches and ministries dealing with youth in our targeted countries
Invest in the media equipment for presentations
- HART is providing laptops and projectors for ministry volunteers as they impact tens of thousands of high school students through trafficking awareness programs.
Invest in projects that protect children
HART partners with many agencies, ministries and churches who:
- Visit orphanages and develop relationships with the kids
- Work with street kids and at-risk teens—outreach programs and soup kitchens
- Provide emergency shelters (safe-homes) for street children
- Offer safe housing and vocational training for at-risk young girls
- Equip at-risk youth through vocational training and employment
- Provide transition housing for graduates from Government-run orphanages
- Operate Christian foster homes
- Manage Christian orphanages – getting kids out of state-run facilities and into a place where they are safe
- Provide legal assistance for vulnerable orphans/street kids/children from prisons
- Facilitate the adoption of orphans by Christian families
- Provide micro-credit to start businesses and employment
Invest in education programs for at-risk girls. Education is a powerful weapon.
Many of the victims of human trafficking are from impoverished families. The parents typically suffer from addiction to alcohol or drugs, psychological or mental health issues.
Girls from these families have few options and eventually start to work on the streets or leave to another country to seek employment. Because of their lack of education they are easy prey for traffickers and pimps.
- Scholarships: HART provides scholarships for at-risk young girls, giving them an option that can free them from a life of poverty and potential abuse, drug addiction and death. A diploma from a vocational training college or a university degree will help their marketability in the workplace.
- Social assistance: Case-workers visit the girls in their homes and schools, speaking with parents and teachers to monitor their progress.
I want to support prevention programs
Sponsor a child
- Give a child hope. Give a family hope. Change the destiny of a child living in poverty and your life will be changed too!
- Learn how to become a Child Sponsor
HART is privileged to be partnered with Beginning of Life, one of the most respected and effective Anti-Human Trafficking agencies in Eastern Europe. They are located in Chisinau, the capital of Moldova.
I want to support victim rehabilitation
Rehabilitation & re-integration centre
Beginning of Life operates a Safe House Centre for the rehabilitation and reintegration of victims of human trafficking. It’s name, ‘House of Change’ reflects the alternatives provided for women in need of healing. The programs are designed specifically for each individual, depending on her past, education, family status, etc. These services include:
- Full accommodation
- Psychological counselling
- Social assistance
- Cultural programs
- Spiritual assistance
- Art therapy
- Drama therapy
- Trade schools
MORE WAYS FOR YOU TO GET INVOLVED
Here’s what YOU can do to make a difference
I want to support anti-human trafficking programs
Download the United Nations toolkit to combat trafficking. You can also watch a movie or read a book to learn about real stories of human trafficking.RECOMMENDED READING MATERIAL:
RECOMMENDED MOVIES (for mature audiences only):
Mobilize people in your life
Talk to your family, life group, co-workers, church. Discuss the issues, practical solutions and opportunities that are available.
Host an awareness night
Invite a HART representative to share a presentation with your group. It will be a great opportunity to educate people about the practical ways to get involved. Phone our office at 403.230.8263 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
to arrange for a presentation.
Begin an awareness group
Start an awareness group at your local high school, university or workplace. Get your friends involved in spreading the truth about human trafficking to your community.
Volunteer at HART
Volunteer for an event – Each spring HART has an annual silent and live auction, designed to raise money to send thousands of underprivileged (therefore at-risk kids) to summer camps. Phone our office at 403.230.8263 or email us at email@example.com
to inquire about volunteering.
Buy fair trade products
Find out how you or your company can support fair trade and help reduce the demand for products made by slaves. Visit Fairtrade.ca
for more details.
Stay current regarding trafficking news
Human trafficking is in the news and making headlines every day. Set up a Google Alert
to keep on top of daily news stories about human trafficking.
Sponsor a child
Because poverty is a major contributor that can lead to human trafficking, sponsoring a child in high-risk, poverty-stricken areas that are also ranked as high origin countries for trafficking can help make a difference. Ukraine and Moldova are the top two source countries for trafficked young women and men. See how you can start sponsoring a child in need today!
Invest in freedom
One way you can join an Anti-Human Trafficking Campaign is through financial support. Your donation will be used to fight human trafficking through legal fees, as well as costs related to healthcare and housing for rescued victims. If you would like to join HART’s campaign against Human Trafficking by making a financial contribution or becoming a regular monthly partner, donate towards our Gifts of Hope catalogue
or donate by clicking here
You can support survivors by donating items for newly rescued victims at Beginning of Life’s shelter in Moldova. If you would like to make a donation directly to the survivors in Moldova, please visit our donations page
. Another way to support survivors is to buy products made by survivors of human trafficking. Beginning of Life
in Moldova markets items made by the women who have been rescued.
Never underestimate the power of prayer!